Some Of The Most Unbelievable Excuses For Late Tax Returns
My wife was seeing aliens was among the worst tax return excuses which have been released by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
The top list of failed excuses for late returns released by HMRC:
- I couldn’t file my return on time as my wife has been seeing aliens and won’t let me enter the house.
- I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play.
- My ex-wife left my tax return upstairs, but I suffer from vertigo and can’t go upstairs to retrieve it.
- My business doesn’t really do anything.
- I spilt coffee on it.
The items taxpayers have attempted to list as expenses are also unusual, including veterinary fees for a pet, the same meal for 250 days, and birthday drinks at a nightclub.
Angela MacDonald, HMRC Director General of Customer Services, said: “Each year we’re making it easier and more intuitive for our customers to complete their tax return, but each year we still come across some questionable excuses, whether that’s blaming a busy touring schedule or seeing aliens.
“However, help will always be provided for those who have a genuine excuse for not submitting their return on time.
“It is unfair to make honest taxpayers pick up the bill for other people’s spurious claims, so HMRC will only accept sincere claims such as legitimate expenses for a job.”
The top list of failed expenses claims for late returns released by HMRC:
- A three-piece suite for my partner to sit on when I’m doing my accounts.
- Birthday drinks at a Glasgow nightclub.
- Vet fees for a rabbit.
- Hotel room service – for candles and prosecco.
- £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days.
Try to avoid making HMRC team laugh from ridiculous excuses. Check this article for reasonable excuses you could use.
The deadline for sending 2019-2020 Self-Assessment tax returns to HMRC and paying any tax owed is 2021 January 31.